RESIDENT'S WRITING CIRCLE _ OCTOBER STORIES - My Mother

My Mother  by Vinay Sharma

What can I say about my Mother. There are so many great experiences I love and admire about my mother that it is difficult and unfair to write about just one which my mother had. Being strong, generous and optimistic are some of the great personal qualities my mother possessed.
Ever since I can remember my mother has been a strong person. She reconciled my brothers, sisters and me, by helping my father and us emotionally, physically and spiritually by herself. My Mom gave her all to make sure her children had the essential amenities to grow happily and successfully and gave all of us the love and care she could.
She would encourage us by simply saying 'Complaining is a useless way to solve problems, but becoming active in the issue is a great way to conquer". One lesson she has taught us the most was, how seriousness about our spiritual beliefs could provide us with a substantial stable life. She was such a  lovable person  that one could feel when she spoke it  was like love flowing like a stream. She used to call me 'baba'.
When sometimes I go down memory lane I get a feeling she is right there in front of me showering her blessing. Today I confess that my mother was a gem of a person. I wish, if born again, the Almighty should bless me in her womb.


My Mother by Kaushalaya L Thawani

My mother was very good looking, fair, of medium height, with cat eyes. She was very loving. She loved me very much because I was her youngest daughter. Before I left for school she always gave me milk. We had two maidservants but my mother did the cooking. She was very talented in cooking, especially in making sweet dishes. Even when she was 80 years old she was very active in doing all the work. 

My mother taught me not to waste water. She used to say to me that if I got angry with her I would get a husband who would be angry with me. She taught me always to respect our elders and not to trouble them so that we get good karmas in life.

When my children were small we used to visit my mother. In the summer vacations we went on picnics to a nearby park. My mother made a variety of dishes for our picnics, including sweet dishes and papads. 

My mother died when she was 83 - she suffered from high blood pressure and became paralysed and so she left the world.


My Mother by Rupa Gupte

I love my mother. The first word that I uttered was Mom. She was a god for me, Whenever I went for new work I always took blessings from my mother by touching her feet. 

My mother's name was Rekha.  She was beautiful and very kind. She did social work and took an interest in politics. She was always ready to help other people. My mother grandparents lived in Pune and my mother went to an English medium school.My mother tried to keep our household happy.
Thanks to God I has a good mother.


My Mother by Sainath Raorane



My mother loved us, my elder brother, my younger sister and me, very much. She used to read us stories from a magazine called ‘Chandoba’ which was delivered to our house every month. Chandoba is the moon and one day when I was about three years old and playing outside our room, very much involved in some game, my mother called me saying  “Sai, Chandoba alla”.This translates as ‘the moon has come!’ I couldn’t understand  what she was saying, I thought that the moon had really come to our room. I ran inside and asked my mother ’Where is the moon?’ She showed me the magazine and I told my mother that I thought the moon had really come to our house. I was very unhappy that the moon had not come in our house. I was a very imaginative child who lived in an imaginary world behind the reality. I got to like the Chandoba magazine very much. My mother read me the  stories in the afternoon when she had finished her work in the kitchen, when my brother was at school. There was one story in every issue called ‘Paropkari Gopal’ which I liked very much. My Mother read each episode  to me in her beautiful voice. Mother also sang many songs to me. I remember her favourite song  about ‘Shravan bal’ I still remember some of the lines about the love Shravan bal had for his mother and father and how he was accidentally shot dead by the king, with an arrow, while he was collecting water for his father and mother.
When I was ill my mother used to sit near me and she put salt water cloth on my head to reduce my temperature. She would continue to do this until late at night. I used to get nausea when taking bitter medicines and my mother used give me sugar after taking such medicines. In this way she used to do many things to make me happy.
When father brought fruit or sweets he would divide them into four parts, one for mother, one for father, one for brother and one for me. When I finished my part I used to sit watching the others and my mother used to take a small piece from her part and give it to me. This happened many times and my brother used to complain and say that we should all have equal shares of the eatables.
My mother never smacked me. I experienced much love from my mother. If I gave her trouble she used to say to me ”don’t trouble me like that!”.  When I was naughty my mother would say, in a humorous way, “You are giving me so much trouble you will get a wife who will trouble you!” If I gave a lot of trouble she used to cry and I would become very silent.
My mother’s voice was very sweet and she taught me the art of singing. Mother was very good in Marathi and she gave me knowledge of Marathi and from my Father I inherited the ability to draw. Mother was also very good at cooking fried fish, chicken masala, and onion pakoda.
 When I got married my mother and my wife started quarrelling every day. I got fed up and left home with my wife and small daughter. My mother had become ill with mental problems and I started taking her twice a week to see a psychiatrist. After some time my father and mother and small sister moved about two hours away to Dombivali. One day, many years later, I got a phone call at my office. My mother spoke to me in a very low voice and said that she wanted to meet me. I went immediately and was shocked by my mother’s condition. She was very thin and I felt very sorry. I started visiting her every month. She was getting worse every month and no medicine could cure her. In my last visits I saw her in a very bad condition, she was just a skeleton of bones. I had studied some palmistry and once I was holding her hand and was surprised to see that all lines on her palm had vanished and was totally plain. I came to know that her end was near. Mother had been ill for a couple of years but my mother died with great peace. One night she slept and couldn’t get up in the morning. She went on her last journey with peace. An era of my life had finished!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Photo Competition

November and December events