The board games and carrom are nearly completed

 

Awaas from the Manya Garden

 





We have still  four people to play Scrabble.and then the walking competition will begin. oranges will be given to all participants.


Awaas has an all weather walking track around the Prem Toshniwal garden . Residents have estimated how many rounds of the track they will complete, but they can do more if they feel capable. Altogether 20 residents are taking part this year.  



Another addition to the Christmas programme this year, besides  Connect 4, is a Photo Competition. There will be three subjects, portrait, nature and general. So far there are only two photos submitted but I will have to persuade some of  the smart phone owners to take part.. It seems that the older generation are not snap happy!

You may be wondering where I got the 4000000 rupees to send to India for Covid treatment in Bihar. I set myself a challenge. In 2019 I cycled just over 1000 miles in England and France to raise money for Awaas. This time I had to aim higher to attract donations so I set myself a target of 2000 miles, that is 3219 kilometers. My friends gave me money for my effort!

I started slowly, going out for an hour at a time and gradually increasing the distance and time cycling. My record day was a distance of 82km which took me eight hours of peddling. If it was raining or very windy ( 30 km per hour wind speed) I stayed at home. Some days I didn't feel like cycling but I had to force myself to go out  - reminding myself that it was to persuade my friends to support me and India. 

I cycled around villages near my home and returned home every day to carry on with the usual cooking, cleaning, gardening and housework. When i got home i would write down the figures from  my cycle computer,  the distance cycled, the average speed, the time taken and the maximum speed. then i would flop down in my favourite chair with a cup of tea to recover!  

Roses round the door

I began my ride on May 10th and finished it on September 13th. I noticed the wild flowers, the pretty villages, the fields of wheat and barley and the changing season. Most villages have a church and many of them are of a particular  style in  the county where I live because it has no hard rock for building. Many Suffolk churches have round towers instead of the usual square ones.   

Cycling was allowed under the Covid lockdown rules as it counted as exercise and didn't involve getting close to anybody, especially in the rural area where I cycled. 

Houses built round a green space 



 A thatched cottage


Comments

  1. I am very glad to know such the efford you have done by cycling on your own,This is a greatful apportunity to those people,Who had been suffering of for a long time from such the dangerous diseases.I appreciate you to your great work 'Pmanya mam',
    You are the great lady!. Because of in this era, "There are hardly such the person can be found in this world, who thinks to happiness for all". thank you. myself,I am Sushil Kumar Singh(Naveen) from Allahabad(India).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am wishing you all a very very happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the Makar Sankrant greetings. Mrs Orem Toshniwal sent a fruit basket and TILGUD chikki to all of us
    AVINASH DESHPANDE

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

November and December events

The Photo Competition