Christmas Day at Awaas Seva Sadan

 I have only been to church once since Covid began to infect the world. Last Christmas I went to Midnight Mass at my church in Bury St Edmunds. Everyone wears masks and they are 2 metres apart from the next person in all directions. There is no singing so that breath is not projected into the space around you. There are no books to handle and risk spreading infection either. All this means that only 100 people can fit in the church. Most churches have the same problem and so it is common for  church services to be recorded onto You Tube. Even the cathedral in Mumbai is on You tube for me to follow if I want to.


I watch my church services from England because I recognise my friends who take part in the readings. On  Christmas Eve, on 24th December I watched a service for children from my church and later  I set my alarm so I could watch the Midnight Mass too. I didn't think that the Lonavala church would be very safe, as generally people are not social distancing in public places here in India.

 



 


 
The Awaas Christmas party began at 3.30pm and after a few games the staff brought tea and snacks into the angan chowk. Although all  had been given an invitation there were many absences. Some ladies are bed ridden and do not leave their rooms at all.

I went to get Jayamala from her room as she has great difficulty walking. She insisted on wearing a new maxi for the occasion so I asked Manisha to help her dress and bring her to the angan. Slowly, slowly, a few inches at a time, she came to join the party. 
The first game was pass the parcel. Sainath provided the noise on a drum, to keep the parcels moving around the circle of residents. Jayamala didn't want  to pass her parcel on and somehow she ended up with two bars of soap, but she was beaming smiles, so we were happy for her. Mrs Deshpande came to the party and enjoyed herself  being able to leave her room for a change. Rupa couldn't make the party but she has taken part in the Snakes and Ladders and carrom, as her opponents went to her room to play against her. In fact she won the Ludo prize!

After the surprise snack of two samosas, fruit custard  and tea we continued with some memory games, and ended with The Twelve Days of Christmas.  The baby tree, which replaced the tall tree that died mysteriously last year, was strung with coloured lights. The Christmas tree shape in the Manya garden was garlanded with stars lights by Suresh our electrician. The Art group and others helped make strings of stars and Christmas trees that were hung on the walls of the main hall and the dining room. Pictures of Father Christmases and Christmas greetings were all over the place. In the library there was a hand coloured nativity scene drawn by Sainath of Mary, Joseph baby Jesus, the angel, shepherds and kings.













 













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November and December events

The Photo Competition

The board games and carrom are nearly completed